Insider’s experts choose the best products and services to help you make informed decisions with your money (here’s how). In some cases, we receive a commission from our partners, however, our opinions are our own. Terms apply to offers listed on this page.
- The Citi® Double Cash Card is one of our favorite cashback cards due to its high earn rate.
- It almost never offers a welcome bonus, but that has changed for a limited time.
- New cardholders can now earn $200 cash after spending $1,500 on purchases in the first 6 months of account opening, but the offer won’t last forever.
- Read Insider’s guide to the best rewards credit cards.
The Citi® Double Cash Card has always ranked high on our list of best cash back credit cards, and for good reason. It’s one of the few cards that earns 2% cash back on all purchases (1% when you buy and 1% when you pay) with no annual fee, and it also comes with an introductory APR very generous on balance transfers.
However, there is a major drawback: the Citi® Double Cash Card does not usually offer a welcome bonus. But now, for a limited time, new cardholders can earn $200 after spending $1,500 on purchases within the first 6 months of account opening.
It’s a solid offer and similar to offers from other no-annual-fee cashback cards like the Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card and Chase Freedom Flex℠. If you’ve been hesitant to open the Citi® Double Cash Card, now’s the time to apply, because this offer won’t last forever.
Here’s what to know about the Citi® Double Cash Card to help you decide if it’s right for you.
We focus here on the rewards and benefits that come with each card. These cards aren’t worth it if you’re paying interest or late fees. When using a credit card, it’s important to pay off your balance in full each month, make your payments on time, and only spend what you can afford.
$200 Citi Double Cash Bonus Offer
16.24% – 26.24% variable
Recommended credit score
good to excellent
16.24% – 26.24% variable
Recommended credit score
good to excellent
- No annual fee
- Simple earning structure without confusion of bonus categories
- Some cards earn higher cash back rates on rotating categories
- Although it offers an introductory APR of 0% for 18 months, it’s only on balance transfers, not purchases, so you can’t use it to fund a large interest-free expense. After these 18 months, it is an APR of 16.24% – 26.24% (Variable).
Read our review
- Earn 2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you purchase, plus an additional 1% when you pay for those purchases.
- For a limited time, get $200 cash back after spending $1,500 on purchases within the first 6 months of account opening.
- Balance Transfer Only Offer: 0% introductory APR on balance transfers for 18 months. After that, the variable APR will be 16.24% to 26.24%, depending on your creditworthiness.
- Balance transfers do not earn cash back. Intro APR does not apply to purchases.
- If you transfer a balance, interest will be charged on your purchases unless you pay your balance (including balance transfers) in full by the due date each month.
- There is an introductory balance transfer fee of 3% of each transfer (minimum $5) made within the first 4 months of account opening. After that, your fee will be 5% of each transfer (minimum $5).
The first thing to note about the new Citi® Double Cash Card welcome bonus offer is how unusual it is. This card almost never offers an intro bonus, so it’s a rare opportunity.
For a limited time, new cardholders can earn $200 in cash after spending $1,500 on purchases within the first 6 months of account opening. Although designed as a cash back card, the Citi® Double Cash Card actually earns rewards in the form of Citi ThankYou points, which are worth 1 cent each when you redeem them for cash back and other rewards.
You’ll earn 2 points per dollar (1 point per dollar when you make a purchase and 1 point per dollar when you pay for it) on all purchases, with no limits or categories to track. This is actually worth 2% cash back.
The other big draw of the card is its 0% APR introductory offer. New cardholders receive an introductory APR of 0% on balance transfers for 18 months, followed by a variable APR of 16.24% to 26.24%. With interest rates on the rise, this offer has the potential to save you a ton of money if you transfer balances from other high interest cards.
Here’s our Citi Double Cash review for a full overview of the card.
How to use Citi Double Cash points
The Citi ThankYou points you earn with the Citi® Double Cash Card are incredibly flexible. In addition to redeeming them for cash back, you can redeem points at a rate of 1 cent each for gift cards or travel booked through the Citi ThankYou travel portal.
The card also gives you the ability to transfer points to a limited set of partners: JetBlue (5:4 transfer ratio, so 1,000 Citi ThankYou points equals 800 JetBlue points), Wyndham (5:4 ratio), Choice Privileges (2:3 ratio) and Sears Shop Your Way Rewards (1:10 ratio).
The Citi® Double Cash Card becomes much more attractive from a transfer perspective if you also have the Citi Premier® Card, as you can combine points between your accounts. With the Citi Premier® card, you can access the full range of Citi air and hotel transfer partners, including Air France-KLM Flying Blue, Singapore Airlines and Virgin Atlantic.
By moving rewards from the Citi® Double Cash Card to the Citi Premier® Card and then transferring them to partners, you have the ability to extract even more value from your points. Read our Citi Premier Card review to learn more about this option.
Keep in mind that the Citi® Double Cash Card doesn’t include a ton of ongoing benefits, like travel insurance or purchase protection. If such benefits are important to you, a different card might be more suitable.
Other Refund Cards to Consider
If you’re looking for a cash back card with no annual fee that earns solid rewards on all purchases, the Citi® Double Cash Card isn’t the only option. Its main competitor is the Wells Fargo Active Cash® card, which offers a cash rewards bonus of $200 after spending $1,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening and earns 2% rewards in cash on purchases without limit.
It also has an introductory APR offer, which is not as long but has broader appeal. New cardholders receive an introductory APR of 0% on eligible purchases and balance transfers for 15 months from account opening (then a variable APR of 17.24%, 22.24% or 27.24%).
The Wells Fargo Active Cash® card also offers more ongoing benefits than the Citi® Double Cash card, including cell phone protection, emergency travel assistance services and Visa Signature Concierge access. Here is our Wells Fargo Active Cash review with all the details.
For more options, be sure to check out our guides to the best cash back credit cards and the best cards with no annual fee to find the right card for you.